We’re encouraging all of our students to be a hero like Jennifer. Follow these steps to make your home less attractive to a burglar and encourage your friends and neighbours to do the same.
* Lock them out: we know as many burglars enter through a window as through a door. Close and double lock all your doors and windows. Shutting isn’t the same as locking
* Keep them guessing: If you’re going out, leave a light on. It keeps burglars in the dark
* Hide and keep: Always keep valuables, like laptops and tablets, out of sight and never leave them near a door, letterbox or window
* Team up with your housemates: Make sure that you’re locking communal areas and not leaving them open for unwanted guests
* Get to know your neighbours: A lot of expensive tech is stolen from doorsteps each year. If you’re getting packages delivered for times when you might not be in, make sure they’re left with a neighbour.
Most burglaries in Barnet take place during the working day, between 8am - 7pm; don’t let your home be one of them.
For more burglary prevention advice visit www.met.police.uk/besafe
Be a hero. Stop crime on your doorstep.