Working closely with our students is a priority. I meet regularly with representatives and attend as many student functions as possible. We want to hear what our students think and consider with them how we might change things. Some examples are:
- Adult Nursing: some students felt that staff did not listen to their concerns. A number of ‘Let's Talk’ events were held at the Royal Free campus. Senior staff and programme teams joined the students for lunch, facilitating table discussions. Students were asked to feedback on modules and practice and programme issues. Points were teased out during the event and actions fed back on subsequently. One action to provide somewhere for students to relax/socialise at the Royal Free. Students worked closely with our Estates Service to create a bespoke student lounge with customised amenities. This has been highly evaluated.
- Social work: students identified the need for consistency in academic leadership across tutor groups, suggesting there should be greater dissertation support. Changes to programme leadership were made - including appointing one overall programme lead across all three years for BA Social Work. Every BA year 3 social work student is invited to a 1:1 meeting to review progress in their final year and explore career plans. More support sessions from the University’s Learning Enhancement Team have been provided focusing on dissertations.
- Education: students asked for more opportunities to meet with key programme staff. Year group co-ordinators were introduced, allowing more time for individual contact. It was felt that assignments should be spread out across the year. The schedule was revised to allow adequate time for feedback to help with the next assessment. BA Primary Education students were keen to participate in University sports. Wednesday afternoons are now ‘free’ for this.
- School-wide changes: After students expressed a desire for more support on employment issues in the National Student Survey, the School introduced integrated support sessions from MDXworks and the Learning Enhancement Team.
- Nursing and Midwifery: Students had voiced frustration at having to wait up to a year for their graduation ceremony after finishing their degree, so Winter Graduation has been set up to mark this occasion earlier.
PV-C Dean of Health & Education