Logo close icon
COVID-19 – Latest MDX updates and FAQs
myUniHub MDXSU

COVID-19 – Latest MDX updates and FAQs


Find the latest updates around COVID-19 and how we're responding to the pandemic

  • Updates to teaching

We understand changes to teaching and learning over the past few months have been challenging and the latest announcement about lockdown restrictions will be hard for you too, but we're here for you.

Over the next few months, we'll be sending you more information about  what your teaching and learning will look like next year.

It’s very important you continue to engage with your online learning activities and assessments – even when you find things difficult - so you get the best chance to succeed in your education. In turn, we'll keep doing everything we can to support you. As always, you can find the details and links for all of your teaching sessions within MDXapp or myUniHub.

  • Information about testing

    If you're coming to campus for teaching or to use any other facilities, we strongly encourage you to take part in our on-campus testing for COVID-19.

    Book a slot to get tested

    Please only book a test if you are coming onto campus for teaching or using other facilities, and make sure you are following government guidelines if you are self-isolating. If you can get a test closer to home, please do this instead. You can also order free test kits to be delivered to your home. Use this option to test yourself before coming to campus if you'd need to travel using public transport.

  • Current COVID-19 restrictions

    Although the Government are easing COVID-19 restrictions, many still remain in place.

    - Only socialise indoors with people you live with or who are in your support bubble
    - Up to 6 people or 2 households can meet outside
    - Work from home if you can and minimise travel
    - If you have symptoms get a test, let us know if you test positive or are isolating for any reason, and stay at home

  • Our community agreement - keeping #TeamMDX safe

We all have a responsibility to help keep everyone safe on campus and in our local area. This community agreement is about how we can respect and support each other for the benefit of everyone on TeamMDX and beyond. It's also important that we work together to follow national and local guidelines. 

You'll see that we have put safety measures in place across campus. If you have a reason to come to campus, make sure you read through our guidelines on social distancing and hygiene so you're prepared. Make sure you have had a test before you arrive, or you take a test as soon as you arrive on site.

When you're there, you'll see signs with more information about the safety measures and what we're asking everyone - staff, students and visitors - to do to support them.

By showing your support for this agreement you're doing your part to protect our student and staff community and the local community around us.

How MDX keeps us safe

How we keep each other safe

Providing hand sanitisation stations across campus

Wash or sanitise your hands regularly

Making it possible to study, work and engage in extra-curricular activities online when not on campus

If you are feeling unwell, stay at home and follow the guidance on notifying us

Providing face coverings and other safety equipment

Wear a face covering on campus unless you are exempt

Following an enhanced cleaning programme on campus and circulating fresh air where possible

Use any sanitiser gel, spray or wipes provided to clean surfaces and equipment and keep surfaces clear

Installing clear signage and one-way systems to support social distancing

Maintain social distancing and follow signage

Providing regular updates on safety measures and guidelines to keep you safe

Stay in touch with your programme team, keep up to date with Middlesex communications and read and act on new guidance

Following government guidance and working to keep the campus open

Follow government guidance when off campus including when travelling, and when at home with family and friends

  • Details about coronavirus

    • Get latest key advice

      Check the NHS and Government websites for the latest information and advice about COVID-19. These are trusted sources and will provide up-to-date and correct information and advice for you and your family.

      For our international students, you can find the latest NHS guidance translated into 48 languages.

      If you are concerned about your health,  call your GP for expert advice. To find out more about health services, read our health and wellbeing pages.

    • What should I do if I develop COVID-19 symptoms?

      If you are feeling unwell with any of the symptoms of COVID-19, stay at home and follow the NHS guidance by ordering a free Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test. Everybody you live with should also stay home and you shouldn't have any visitors until you receive your test result when you'll receive more guidance. If you are unwell with any symptoms (even if these are not COVID-19 symptoms) stay away from campus.

      If you test positive for COVID-19 or are self-isolating for other reasons, please let us know as soon as possible by completing this short form (and read this privacy notice) or ask someone else to let us know providing that you respond to our request for more information. This is so that we can best support you with anything you may need through your isolation period, but also so that we can work with Public Health England to ensure that we are keeping the rest of the community safe.

      If you have tested positive and we do not hear back from you within a 24 hour period, and reasonable contact attempts have been made, we may contact your listed emergency contact to advise that we have been able to confirm your health and safety.

      If you tell us that you have tested positive or that you are isolating we will try to check in with you to ensure that you are safe and well and have everything you need for your period of isolation.

      Please respond to these check ins. If we are unable to establish contact with you throughout your period of isolation we may try to contact your listed next of kin/emergency contact to ensure that you are safe and well.

    • What is the University doing to keep me safe from the virus on campus?

      The Government is easing lockdown. It is very important that you continue to follow all COVID secure measures on campus to keep yourself and the rest of the #TeamMDX community safe.

      • Controlled access to some buildings and some one way circulation
      • Enhanced hygiene with more regular cleaning
      • In communal spaces, face coverings won't be required when two metre social distancing is in place
      • In teaching and learning spaces and meeting rooms, face coverings will be required as well as remaining one metre apart at all times
      • There might be additional PPE required in specialist areas like labs and workshops.

      We ask all members of the community to also do their bit and use any sanitiser gel, spray or wipes provided to clean surfaces and equipment and keep surfaces clear.

      We're currently in Tier 3 of access to campus.

      This means we will move the majority of our teaching online with only some essential face to face activities. Details on how your course is taught is provided on our course pages. Your course may require you to come on to campus for lectures, seminars or to use the specialist facilities.

      We understand that you may be concerned about your own risks in relation to attending campus based activities. We strongly encourage you to take this Covid-age self-assessment which will help you to make a decision based on your personal circumstances.

      This form will help you decide whether it's safe for you to come onto campus.

    • Preparing for scenarios relating to coronavirus outbreaks

      We will always keep you updated and informed of any changes that you need to be aware of – so please continue to read your student emails regularly as this will be how we directly be communicating with you.

      Outbreak on campus (two or more case/s linked within a 14 day period)

      In the event of an outbreak on campus, we may need to do the following:

      • Programme of testing
      • An increase in social distancing (from one metre + to two metres in all areas)
      • Face coverings in all areas
      • Temporarily stopping face to face teaching
      • Temporary suspension of practical sessions (labs, studios, workshops, etc.,)
      • Temporary closure of sports facilities and catering outlets
      • Closure of the campus (lockdown)

      Outbreak in students in halls 

      For students in halls in the event of an outbreak, we may need to do the following:

      • Self-isolation and separate use of facilities such as kitchens, toilets and showers
      • Increased level of monitoring by Public Health
      • Programme of testing
      • Restrictions on access
      • Welfare support may be require (mental health support, food, toiletries, etc.,)
      • Lockdown of whole building

      Local area outbreak

      In the scenario where there is a local outbreak in the area around the University, we may need to do the following:

      • Local pubs, restaurants and non-essential shops may be closed
      • The University may be required to suspend teaching and working
      • Public transport restrictions may be applied
      • Social distancing (including the mixing of households) may be restricted
      • Restriction on shopping, exercise, etc. may be applied
    • Will I be expected to wear a face covering/ mask?

      Students who can wear a face covering should at all times when in communal and shared indoor spaces. In shared indoor spaces you will be expected to wear a face covering unless you are eating and/or drinking. We ask members of the #TeamMDX community to be socially responsible and adhere to approaches we are taking as an institution to keep us all safe.

      Face coverings are not a substitute for other hygiene and safety measures, such as being tested when displaying symptoms, self-isolating when unwell or advised to, enhanced cleaning regimes, and regular hand-washing. These primary mitigation measures should always be followed.

      We also encourage #TeamMDX to be mindful that some members of our community will be unable to wear face coverings or to follow particular COVID-19-secure systems on campus, such as one way systems, due to a health condition or disability.

      In line with Government guidance, some students are exempt from wearing a face covering. This includes those who:

      • Cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability
      • Would experience extreme distress by putting on, wearing or removing a face covering
      • Speak to or provide assistance to someone who relies on lip reading, clear sound or facial expressions to communicate

      If you have a health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering should not be routinely asked to give any written evidence of this and this includes exemption cards.

      You may however feel more comfortable showing something that says that you do not have to wear a face covering.

      This is a personal choice and is not necessary in law, but we would encourage this so that you are not repeatedly asked. You may wish to collect an MDX face covering exempt lanyard and badge which will be available from Security in the Quad.

      Tips for putting on and taking off your face covering

      When wearing a face covering you should:

      • wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitiser before putting a face covering on
      • avoid wearing on your neck or forehead
      • avoid touching the part of the face covering in contact with your mouth and nose, as it could be contaminated with the virus
      • change the face covering if it becomes damp or if you’ve touched it
      • avoid taking it off and putting it back on a lot in quick succession (for example, when leaving and entering shops on a high street)

      When removing a face covering you should:

      • wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitiser before removing
      • only handle the straps, ties or clips
      • do not give it to someone else to use
      • if single-use, dispose of it carefully in a residual waste bin and do not recycle
      • if reusable, wash it in line with manufacturer’s instructions at the highest temperature appropriate for the fabric
      • wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitiser once removed
    • If I have a disability, will I have to follow the one way system on campus?

      If you have a disability, you do not need to follow the one-way systems (or other directional signage, such as exits and entrances) and can take the routes most suitable to your needs.

      Whilst this may mean passing people at less than two metres, it is considered safe because it will be for a short duration and students and staff will be wearing face coverings.

      However, we strongly encourage all students who need to attend campus to complete this self-assessment COVID-19 age tool to support you in making a decision regarding your personal risks relating to COVID-19.

    • What if I fall ill on campus?

      If you aren't feeling well, you should not come on to campus. If you do fall ill in class, you should leave and stand socially distanced with someone who can call a first aider in a convenient place. The first aider will then take over and explain next steps.

      To contact a first aider, call security on 0208 411 6200 in an emergency and 0208 411 4329 for non-emergencies and ask for a first aider.

    • What is considered an acceptable face covering/ mask?

      A face covering needs to cover mouth and nose. There should be no gaps, holes or vents and it can’t be open at the bottom.  Please note that you shouldn't where visors unless otherwise required to - for example in lab work - and this will be communicated to you by your academics.

      We are providing accepted #TeamMDX washable face coverings, along with hygiene keys free of charge to all students and staff. You can pick these up from a staffed table close to the security office in the Quad.

    • Testing on campus

      Anyone coming to campus – whether it be as a one-off or more regularly - is expected to arrange an Asymptomatic (no symptom) Lateral Flow Device (LFD) COVID test at our on-site facility (unless you have tested positive within the last 90 days). About 1 in 3 people who have Covid-19 do not have any symptoms which is why regular testing is so important. Without testing, you could be unknowingly passing the virus to somebody else. Getting the test should be the first thing that is done upon arrival on campus to ensure minimal contact with others in the event of receiving a positive test result.

      Everybody can now also order a pack of free Lateral Flow Tests (LFT) to take twice weekly at home. This is an especially good option if you need to travel to campus using public transport. Remember that if you test negative, you still need to follow all government guidelines to keep yourself and others safe. A negative test only means that it was likely that you did not have COVID-19 when you took the test.

      If you test positive using a LFD test kit, you need to isolate immediately and book a free confirmation Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test. Remember to report all positive results to us using this short form so that we can best support you.

  • Support and wellbeing

    • Your health and wellbeing

      Wellbeing and mental health support

      This has been a particularly challenging year for us all, and as we enter the spring and summer months, we find ourselves in a new transition phase of the pandemic.

      It is as important as ever to look after your health and wellbeing and to reach out for support if you find yourself experiencing mental ill-health. If you have a diagnosed mental ill-health condition, speak to the Disability and Dyslexia Service.

      You can also book a one-time virtual consultation with a member of the MDX Counselling and Mental Health team for a discussion around what you are finding challenging and the most useful next steps for you. Longer-term support is also available from the Counselling and Mental Health team by completing the confidential referral form. You can find a summary of Student Support and Wellbeing teams and how to contact them on UniHub.

      If you are a student currently residing abroad, the ways in which you can access the Counselling and Mental Health team are different. You can find out more on this dedicated UniHub page.

      Free apps

      Use these wellbeing platforms to keep you well including Fika, togetherall and UNIHEADS which all provide specific support around COVID-19. You may also want to enrol for this free course from the University of Toronto called Managing Your Mental Health During COVID-19 which takes about three hours to complete.

      Speak with your GP (Doctor)

      Your General Practitioner (GP) or doctor is your main point of contact for your health - both physical and mental. You can learn more about how to register for a GP from our partner GP, Arun Notaney, and your Student Wellbeing Coordinator Vanessa from The Uni Doctor in the ‘Accessing Healthcare’ webinar and summary information.

      If you are an international student, find out more about international healthcare on this dedicated UniHub page

      Domestic Violence

      For anyone who feels they are at risk of abuse, it is important to remember that there is help and support available to you.

    • What should I do if I am concerned for a peer, if I am experiencing any kind of abuse (including domestic abuse) or if I would like to report any other inappropriate behaviours?

      Our Care and Concern team can support you with wellbeing emergencies; if somebody is at risk of or is experiencing significant harm and abuse such as domestic violence, honour-based violence, forced marriage, hate crime; for misconduct such as bullying, harassment and intimidation; for safeguarding; and fitness to study and fitness for practice concerns.

      Read our dedicated page with support around domestic abuse. You may like to clear your browsing history afterwards.

      Remember, in an emergency, on-campus you should call security on 0208 411 6200. If you are in halls you can call your halls team. If you are off-campus, you should call 999.

    • What support is available if I have caring responsibilities?

      We recognise that members of #TeamMDX may have friends and family who have been or are currently unwell. If you have caring responsibilities, read about what support we and other services can help you with.

    • Bereavement support

      We have put together this bereavement support page if you are grieving the loss of a loved one  or if you are looking for support on how to support somebody else who is grieving. Grief at any time is difficult, but if you are bereaved as a result of Coronavirus you may have a potentially different experience. We want you to remember that you are not alone, and though you may be more physically isolated during this time, we at #TeamMDX are here for you if you ever would like to reach out.

    • Library and Student Support services

      Your student support services will help you stay on track with your personal and academic development. Support from your tutor and student learning assistants (SLAs), access to our library service, and online academic writing, numeracy, and wellbeing support will make sure that you continue to get a great learning experience with us. Please keep an eye on the pages below for the latest updates from your services:

  • Accommodation and campus facilities

    • How will you ensure I am safe in my halls of residence?

      We’re aiming to make your experience of living in halls of residence as normal and fun as possible.

      In halls, you’ll form a household with students in the flat or rooms you occupy and together you’ll share a kitchen. This means that you’ll be able to spend time together without having to keep up social distancing from each other.

      Your safety will always be our number one priority. We’ve been working hard with our halls partners to arrange additional, regular communal area cleaning, hand sanitiser at the entrances to each hall and blocks as well as one way systems where possible. Further information will be provided upon arrival at your halls.

      To keep everyone is safe and under the new national lockdown rules, visitors are not allowed into halls.

      Our Accommodation team and your friendly halls of residence teams will help you to adjust when you arrive so you’re as comfortable as possible. If you’re not sure about something or feel unsafe, speak with your halls of residence team as soon as possible.

      Food deliveries to halls

      To make sure you have access to daily meals and snacks without having to go to your local supermarket, you can now order meal packages delivered straight to your residence using the new Preoday website.

      You will be able to order 1/5/7 Day Meal plans for convenience, or meals available individually, as well as Crosstown Doughnuts and Movie Night Treat Boxes to share with your roommates. The packages are delivered straight to your accommodation reception Monday to Friday between 9:30 to 1:30pm. The meal packages are also available to collect from myCostcutter Burroughs Parade Hendon between 9am to 12pm.

      Order before 12pm for next day delivery.

      You can also arrange food deliveries with a number of supermarkets. It is a good idea to have some cupboard essentials in case you need to self-isolate at any point. Find out more about ordering food deliveries on our self-isolation support page.

      Order your delivery

    • What happens if someone in my halls develops COVID-19 symptoms?

      If you do test positive for COVID-19, you will need to self-isolate immediately and let us know as soon as possible by completing this short form (and reading this privacy notice).

      We’ve allocated specific flats areas for students who need to self-isolate and your move in date gives you two weeks before the start of term. If you want to move after those 14 days we can arrange that if there’s other rooms available.

      If a student within your ‘hall household’ has symptoms of COVID-19, the whole flat will need to self-isolate in accordance with government guidelines. It’s important that you prepare for such an incidence just in case by buying enough staple ingredients (rice, pasta, tinned food etc.) to last a couple of weeks. It’s also a good idea to arrange for a person outside your hall household that can assist you with getting any essential medicines and food if necessary.

      Make sure you also bring plenty of protective equipment with you such as face masks (essential for shopping, traveling on public transport), gloves and hand gel.

    • I have secured accommodation but I need to delay my travel, will a place on halls still be secured?

      If you’ve got a place in halls then don't worry - we'll keep your room and you’ll only pay from when you arrive. If you want to wait to book, then we'll have rooms available throughout the term. If you have to move in now, then our team is here to support you including if you need to self-isolate.

      Make sure you keep our Accommodation team updated on any changes to your plans.

    • Prayer facilities

      Our on-campus prayer room has reopened and is available to all staff and students Monday-Friday from 08:00-18.00, with the following prayers arranged as below:

      • Duhr is at 13:00
      • Asr is between 17:00 – 17:30
      • Maghrib is after 20:00

      The prayer space has been configured to allow for safe social distancing at all times and face coverings are required by all unless exempt.

      The Prayer Room is located in Portakabin 8 for men and the Sports Pavilion for women.

      A number of other community spaces that may be accessible to you have been compiled on UniHub. Due to the fast changing nature of the coronavirus outbreak, we recommend that you contact any of these venues before travelling to them.

      Please see here for the health and safety measures being taken.

      More information is also available on the Barnet Multi Faith Forum website.

    • Will the gym be open and will I be able to participate in competitive sports?

      The Fitness Pod is open with Covid secure measures. Please pre-book your visit and follow all guidelines to keep yourself and other gym members safe.

      The team continue to offer a programme of online exercise classes and gradually a programme of outdoor activities. For information on other ways to keep active, keep up to date with the sports newsletter, and on the Unihub website.

    • Nursery

      The Early Years Education and Childcare Service (Nursery) remains open from 9am-5pm.  For further information please contact Sarah Vipond, Head of Early Years Education and Childcare Services.

    • Catering on campus

      Sale and Consumption of alcohol on campus is paused

      After careful consideration, we have taken the decision, along with several other universities, to pause the sale and consumption of alcohol from our campus for the time being. This is to ensure social distancing can be appropriately maintained at all times and that we can utilise our spaces in the safest and most COVID secure ways. We understand that for some of you this will be disappointing, and we will continue to review this decision to ensure we are always providing the best possible student experience in a safe way.

      Food outlets still available on Campus

      The following catering options are available on campus which are takeaway only, adhering to the government guidelines, and operating at a safe social distance with minimal service.

      Runway – Quad

      Open Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm

      This is the largest coffee outlet on campus serving Costa Coffee, available for “Click and Collect” using the Time2Eat app.

      The new “Made In-House” range is now available, which includes a variety of freshly made sandwiches, salads, baguettes, and panini.

      *This coffee shop also offers Vegan, Vegetarian, Halal, Kosher and GF options.*

      MyCostcutter shop - The Burroughs

      Open Monday - Friday 8am to 4pm

      Offering a wide range of retail supplies plus a selection of pasties, pastries, sandwiches, Seattle (Fairtrade) coffee and a range of herbal teas.

      *This outlet offers Vegan, Vegetarian, Halal, Kosher and GF options.*

      Time2Eat App

      The new and exciting app offers “Click and Collect” Self-isolation kits to students in halls.

      Students can also pre-order delivery to halls, or collect from the Costcutter shop

      We are constantly reviewing the catering services & respond to changing requirements at short notice.

    • Do I need to pay the rent for the lockdown period?

      For any students that returned home before the winter break and were unable to return due to the national lockdown, but still wish to return once the lockdown ends, we can offer you a rebate for the period 4 January – 21 May. This rebate will be applied to your final instalment of rent, and your key fob will be inactive until you return to halls. Please contact the MDX Accommodation team at accomm@mdx.ac.uk.

  • Finance and fees

  • Financial support

    • What support is available from MDX for financial hardship?

      If you are in need of financial support, then please contact the Student Welfare Advice Team (SWAT) who can assess cases on an individual basis.

      For answers to frequently asked funding and benefit questions please see our Student Welfare Advice Guides.

    • Food parcels/voucher support

      We can support the needs of some students who live in the local area and are unable to access food due to a) self-isolation or b) genuine financial difficulty. This support comes in the form of food parcel deliveries and food vouchers.

      You will be eligible for a food parcel delivery, for up to seven days in the first instance, only if you are:

      • Experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and so are required to quarantine/self-isolate OR
      • Living with others who are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and so are required to quarantine/self-isolate AND so
      • Are unable to get out of your house to reach the shops OR
      • Have no one else, either in your house or nearby who can reach the shops for you OR
      • Can reach the shops independently but can evidence that you have no available funds to purchase food

      You will be eligible for a food voucher, for up to seven days in the first instance, if you:

      • Can provide sufficient evidence that you have no financial means of funding your own food, and
      • Can reach the Costcutter shop in the Burroughs with the voucher provided.

      For parcel or delivery enquiries, please go to https://unihelp.mdx.ac.uk/enquiry/ (use the subject Student Welfare Advice in the enquiry). Please note that we can only make deliveries to addresses within five miles of Middlesex University (The Burroughs).

    • Student maintenance loans and loan repayments

      The Student Loans Company (SLC) has confirmed that students will receive the scheduled or next instalment of their maintenance loan at the planned start of summer term, regardless of whether their university or provider has made alternative arrangements for teaching and regardless of whether campuses are closed.

      Find more information on the GOV.UK website.

  • Fees

    • What is the University doing about tuition fees?

      The decision was made in March 2020 to move all teaching to online-only delivery  and to develop similar alternative arrangements for assessments. While this way of learning and assessment may feel very different, we have worked hard to maintain our commitment to continue quality teaching supervision and assessment to support our students' progression and completion of their programmes.

      Equity and inclusion are at the heart of our plans for moving to fully-online learning, teaching and assessment and these principles of fairness are at the forefront of our decision-making process. We have worked hard to put in place mitigations, checks and balances to ensure our students are not disadvantaged in any way.

      Our position in relation to payment of tuition fees is clear and where we have been able to deliver alternative online teaching, supervision and assessments to our academic standards we will not be issuing tuition fee refunds. This is in line with regulatory policy wherein students will continue to receive scheduled payments of loans for the remainder of the current, 2020/21, academic year.

    • What are other universities doing in this area?

      Most universities are following the government guidance and not issuing refunds. The most recent government statement on this matter says that, “students ordinarily should not expect any fee refund if they are receiving adequate online learning and support.” You can read the full government statement on the Department for Education website.

    • UK Undergraduate students

      Where you are eligible for funding from Student Finance England and have not yet applied, please try to make your application as soon as possible to ensure your tuition fees are cleared by payment deadlines.

      For those of you that are not in receipt of government funding, such as from the Student Loan Company, we will offer flexibility on current tuition fee deadlines. The University will be issuing more detailed guidance on this next week.

      If your financial circumstances change and you are unable to meet your payment deadline, please contact the Welfare team by booking an appointment or through the UniHelp team requesting assistance from Welfare.

    • UK Postgraduate and Doctoral students

      If you are a UK/EU Postgraduate student, you can apply to Student Finance England for a loan of up to £10,906 for a Master's course. This will be paid directly to you. This is not means tested and will be paid to you in three instalments. Please see the Government website for more details.

      If you are a UK/EU student starting a Doctoral degree after August 1 2019 you can apply to Student Finance England for a loan of up to £25,700 for your whole course, to help with course fees and living costs.

      For further information on how to make your tuition fee payment, please refer to UniHub.

  • Travel and visas

  • Travel and immigration

    • Travelling abroad or away from home

      It is currently illegal to travel abroad for holidays. In England, you must have a permitted reason to travel abroad and complete a declaration form.

      Some countries have closed borders, and any country may further restrict travel or bring in new social distancing rules with little warning. Check the Government advice for all the countries you will visit or transit through.

    • For students arriving into England

      Please let us know that you will be arriving by filling in this short form so that we can best support you.

      For UK nationals or if you have residency rights in the UK

      If you arrive in England and have travelled in a country on the banned travel list (sometimes called the ‘red list’) in the last 10 days, you will need to quarantine (self-isolate) in a government quarantine hotel for 10 days. You will need to book your hotel before you travel and the 2 COVID-19 tests to take during your quarantine. You cannot use the Test to Release scheme if you have been in a red list country in the 10 days prior to arrival in England. The quarantine package will £1,750 for an individual travelling alone, which includes the hotel, transport and testing. The quarantine period could be extended if you test positive for Covid-19.

      You must have proof of a negative coronavirus test to travel to England – this includes UK citizens. You must take the test in the 3 days before the service on which you will arrive in England departs.

      The list of red list countries is updated regularly. It is your responsibility to keep up to date with the latest regulations from your departure country and the latest UK Government guidance if you are planning on travelling to England.

      For foreign nationals or if you don't have residency rights in the UK

      If you have been in or through any of the “red list” countries in the last 10 days, you will be refused entry to the UK.

      The list of red list countries is updated regularly. It is your responsibility to keep up to date with the latest regulations from your departure country and the latest UK Government guidance if you are planning on travelling to England.

      For everyone

      If you are arriving into England from a country not on the “red list”, you can quarantine at your home/residence. You must have proof of a negative coronavirus test to travel to England – this includes UK citizens. You must take the test in the 3 days before the service on which you will arrive in England departs.

      Whether under home quarantine or hotel quarantine, you will be required by law to book and take further swab tests as part of a travel test package on day two and day eight of that quarantine. You must book these tests ahead of arrival and this costs £210. You must take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 for variant surveillance and a test on or after day 8 to check that you do not have COVID-19. If either of these post-arrival tests comes back positive, you will have to quarantine for a further 10 days from the date of the test.

      You will need to complete a passenger locator form in the 48 hours before you arrive in England with details of where you will quarantine (isolate) when you arrive and your travel test package booking reference number.

      It is your responsibility to keep up to date with the latest regulations from your departure country and the latest UK Government guidance if you are planning on travelling to England.

    • Visa and immigration info

      The Government is working to ensure existing rules and regulations are as flexible as possible under the current unprecedented circumstances.

      Any student whose leave expired after 24 January 2020, and who cannot leave the country because of travel restrictions or self-isolation, is able to extend their visa to 31 July 2020. This will be kept under regular review in case further extensions are needed. Individuals must contact the Coronavirus Immigration Team to advise of their situation.

      Full information is on GOV.UK including details of the Coronavirus Immigration Help Centre.

  • Students with Student Route Visa

    • I want to go home because of the coronavirus outbreak. What is Middlesex University policy on this?

      We understand that you may be anxious and considering returning home. While we advise you not to be moving around at this time, if you decide to go back, it is important that you notify us both for visa requirements and so we can support you in continuing your studies.

      • In the first instance, you need to email our Visa Compliance team requesting an “authorisation to travel”. Please provide a copy of your flight details in your email
      • Next, you need to inform your Programme Leader about your travel plans.

      Please rest assured, you will not be disadvantaged by your decision to travel. Even if, due to your own government's measures, you are not able to return to the UK. If you are not in the UK, it is important that you engage with Middlesex University. You must follow the online learning we have put in place to assist you and comply with end of year assessments.

      However, if you wish to take a break from your academic studies or thinking of withdrawing from your course, then you will need specific advice. As this may have implications for your immigration status. It is very important that you contact us before taking any decision which will have serious implications on your ability to study in the UK in the future. Our Advice Team is here to support you and can be reached via email.

      Further immigration information for students studying on a Student Route visa can be found on the UKVI website and the UKCISA website.

    • My UK visa expires while I am in the UK?

      As the COVID allowance for extending a visa ended on 31st July, UKVI advises students to either return home or if able and have been granted a COVID extension, to extend your current visa to remain in the UK.

      You can find more useful information on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website or feel free to contact our friendly International Student advice team on intadvice@mdx.ac.uk  for further clarification.

    • What if I can’t travel home at the end of the summer term?

      The Foreign and Commonwealth Office is providing the latest travel guidance on territories most affected by COVID-19. We advise that you check this information regularly. If you are unsure please email the International Student Advice team.

    • What happens if I have decided to study remotely from my country, will this affect my attendance record if I am not physically at the University?

      You are expected to engage with online study as advised by your Programme Leader and Tutors. It is important that you do not miss online lectures and seminars and keep on track with assignments and submission.

      Arrangements will be made to keep online attendance record but in cases where you are not able to engage due to illness or travel, please email our Visa Compliance team and seek authorised absence permission.

    • Am I allowed to work full-time now that some teaching is still online?

      Your Student Route Visa condition remains in place as we still expect all of our students to engage with the online delivery of their course. There are no current changes to the term dates. Therefore, during term-time, Student Route students will be restricted to working the number of hours their visa allows.

      If you are unsure, please contact the International Student Advice team

    • I am self-isolating or unwell and not able to join online teaching. Will my attendance be monitored?

      If you are unable to engage with studies because you are unwell, you must email Student Visa Compliance team. The team will update your attendance record to show that your absence is authorised.

      We do not anticipate visa implications for most Student Route Visa students with quarantine or travel restrictions, but you will need specific advice if you are absent from study for more than 60 days.

    • I am due to start a work placement this year and experience difficulties with the job search. How will I be affected?

      We will be reviewing the deadlines set for securing the work placement, and we will permit flexibility in line with the UK Visas and Immigration advice. Further details will follow as they are available, so please check back.

    • I am on work placement, how will I be affected?

      We are anticipating that students on 12 month work placements should remain on their placements, unless their employer can no longer support the placement and cannot offer alternative arrangements. If your employer informs you that they have to terminate your contract, please contact the Programme Leader and email Student Visa Compliance team.

In this section

Back to top