COVID-19 – Latest MDX updates and FAQs
Key details about how it will work:
Why has the University approved this policy?
- It’s something that we know many students want. Feedback, coordinated through your Students’ Union, has made it clear that this will help students in their learning
- We believe strongly in providing a flexible learning environment, which this policy will help contribute towards
- Recorded lectures also helps enhance the accessibility of learning at Middlesex, contributing to our important agenda on inclusivity and diversity.
What types of teaching will be recorded?
- All lectures will now be recorded and, in most cases, other forms of teaching activities will be recorded as well
- Sessions which may not be appropriate to record are those where personal information might be disclosed such as during personal tutoring, tutorials, and session where discussion activity might involve the sharing of personal experience
- It may also be that the nature of the session does not lend itself to being recorded, such a laboratory or workshop.
How will I be able to watch the lecture recordings?
- All recorded materials will be curated within My Learning and then made available for you to watch on demand.
How will it work in practice?
- Clear guidance is being created for staff on how to put this policy into practice
- It is the responsibility of the staff member leading the session that is to be recorded to make students aware of the intention to record
- This applies to both face-to-face and online sessions
- If you do not wish to appear on a recording or have your voice recorded, you should be given the opportunity to move to a seat where you are not visible on camera and will not be picked up by the microphone at the front of the room or to switch off your camera if it is an online session.
Can I still make my own recording of lectures?
- You still have the opportunity to make audio recordings of lectures for study purposes only where they are not already being provided
- You must seek the permission of the member of staff taking the session and it will be at the discretion of the staff member to allow a recording.