Saved pages

    Close window

    myUniHub MDXSU

    Brexit information

    The General Election on the 12th December 2019 saw the Conservative Party win a landslide victory, meaning Boris Johnson remains the UK’s Prime Minister.

    The Conservative majority is strong enough for the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement Bill to pass through the House of Commons. The Bill is expected to be re-introduced on Friday 20th December and, if adopted, would avoid the risk of an imminent no-deal exit with the UK leaving the EU on 31 January 2020 and entering into the transition period.

    The implications for current and future students at Middlesex will be different depending on whether the UK leaves the EU with a deal or not.

    The University is working hard to influence Government and other decision makers on the impact of Brexit for universities and students. At Middlesex we value our students from across Europe and the ways they enrich our community and our campus life. We are determined to preserve the diversity of our University and remain welcoming to people from across the world.

    We are committed to supporting our current students through any challenges that arise as the Brexit negotiations go forward and as any actions take place. Please check these pages regularly for ongoing updates, announcements and news.

    The resources below are also at your disposal if you would like further help and advice in relation to welfare matters.

    There are further details in the FAQs below.

    For the latest information on getting ready for Brexit on 31 October 2019, you should also check out:

    • Rights to continue living, working and studying

      • How will a no-deal Brexit affect my immigration status?

        The Government has confirmed that whether the UK leaves the EU with or without a deal the EU Settlement Scheme will continue to be implemented. This enables EU citizens, including students, and their family members living in the UK at the time the UK leaves the EU to secure their status and continue to be able to work, study, and access benefits and services in the UK on the same basis as they do now.

        In a no-deal scenario, the government has confirmed that the EU Settlement Scheme will not apply to EU citizens arriving after the UK leaves the EU. Instead, EU and EEA students will be able to stay in the UK for up to three months, after which they will need to apply for European Temporary Leave to Remain. This will enable you to work, study and live in the UK for up to 3 years. Once your Leave to Remain expires, you will have to apply under the future immigration system (operational from 2021) for the relevant visa.

      • I’m worried about my immigration status – where can I find answers?

          If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss national and have questions or concerns related to your immigration status following Brexit, you can contact the International Student Advice Team: By phone 020 8411 4507 or email: or make an appointment/ attend a workshop with one of the team.

          Further guidance on applying for settled status can also be found on the government website.

          You can also ask the Home Office if you have any questions about applying for settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme through the EU settled status enquiries service .

      • Will I be able to stay and work in the UK once I have finished my studies?

        The situation will be different depending on whether the UK leaves the EU with a deal or not. If the UK leaves the EU with a deal then the Government has indicated that any student arriving in the UK before January 2021 will be able to apply for ‘pre-settled status’. This will allow you to stay in the UK for five years and then apply for ‘settled status’. Once you have settled status, you’ll be able to remain in the UK indefinitely. If you have already been in the country for five years you can apply for settled status straight away. Once you are in the UK, you can apply for pre-settled status or settled status for free here:

        If the UK leaves the EU without a deal and you arrive in the UK any time after Brexit date and have applied for European Temporary Leave to Remain, you will need to apply for a visa after three years when your Leave to Remain expires. For more information about visas, visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs

    • Tuition fees, student loans and funding

      • Will my fees as a current EU student increase?

        The tuition fee status will not change for current EU/EEA students attending UK universities or for those coming for courses starting in 2019/20 or 2020/21 even if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.EU/EEA students studying at UK universities will pay the same fees as UK students for the full duration of their course, even if the course finishes after the UK has left the EU.

        If you have any queries relating to student funding/finance, you can email

    • Healthcare

      • What access rights will I have to healthcare?

        The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) have published information about healthcare in the UK for EU, EEA and Swiss nationals, and useful information on Brexit and what it means for students and their family.

        Until the UK leaves, EU students will continue to have access to healthcare under the same conditions as now.

        Once the UK leaves, EU students are advised to apply for pre-settled/settled status as this protects both their immigration status and their access to healthcare.

    • Help and Advice

      • I’m experiencing anxiety/ mental health issues relating to the Brexit situation

        We understand that this can be a really uncertain and therefore worrying time for many members of the MDX community. You should never suffer silently or feel alone. If you’re experiencing feelings of stress, anxiety, depression or any other mental health issue related to Brexit, the following support services are at your disposal:

        Student Support and Wellbeing - advice and support, including counselling

        Bullying and harassment

        Cause for Concern Procedure - the Cause for Concern Procedure should be followed for concerns such as health, wellbeing, conduct, safety or vulnerability which can affect a student’s academic engagement.

      • I’m worried about my safety on campus

        If you're worried about any activities atf the University causing a concern to your own or another's healthy, safety or welfare or have an suggestions for improvement, please report these concerns to the relevant member of staff or your Campus Student Office.

        Any crime or incident occurring on the University premises should be immediately reported to the nearest University Security Lodge or Main Campus Reception where advice can be given. Find out more about safety on campus.

        Hendon Reception Tel: 0208 411 6976

    • Studying Abroad

      • How will Brexit affect the Erasmus+ programmes?

        Both the government and the European Commission have indicated a willingness to cooperate over the continuation of Erasmus+. In the event of 'no deal', the government has also said it will underwrite some costs connected with students being on exchange overseas. However, the situation remains quite fluid. Stay up to date by following developments on these sites:

      • My programme has a compulsory year abroad – if I am unable to go, will I still get a degree?

        A year abroad is still possible post-Brexit, but there is uncertainty over opportunities to apply for Erasmus+ funding, and other matters such as visa requirements. If you are concerned about this, please speak to your Programme Leader.

        For any other enquiries, please contact

    In this section

    Back to top