Update: Laptop Loan collection replaced with a courier service
If you don't have your own PC, laptop or suitable device to access the University online environment, the University will provide you with a loan laptop to help you with your teaching and learning needs.
England is currently in a national lockdown and in order to protect our Community, the in person laptop collection service from the Sheppard Library will no longer operate. This will be replaced by a courier service.
To borrow a laptop, simply book a courier request on our Laptops for Loan Booking Page
All laptops have full desktop software installed, printing functionality, on screen sign-in instructions and can be used on or off campus. Please note: If you are using a loan laptop On Campus you must connect to MDXUNI Wi-Fi before signing in with your University User ID and password. If you are Off Campus, a connection must be made to a secure Wi-Fi network prior to signing in. To help you, the laptop features on screen sign-in instructions.
The loan period has also been extended to Friday 23 April 2021. If you do wish to return a laptop before restrictions have eased, the Security Office in the College Building will accept laptops seven days a week between 8am and 6pm.
Please remember that you will not be able to borrow a laptop from the self-service cabinets as they are not in service.
Terms of service
- You will need to connect to a Wi-Fi network before you can access the laptop. You must also have a valid Middlesex user ID and password to log in to the laptop.
- Laptops are available for long term loan until Friday 23 April 2021 – a charge will be incurred if the laptop is returned after the due date.
- Laptops are to be returned to the security office at the Hendon campus on or before the due date.
- If you are registered with the University’s Disability & Dyslexia Service, you can borrow laptops for a longer period.
- The laptops must NOT have anything affixed to the top cover or marking the top cover, including stickers or any other personal notes etc.
- You will be charged at a rate of 50p per hour for any late return.
- Laptop cabinets are not in use. Please do not return laptops to cabinets.
- All returned laptops will be quarantined and cleaned before next use.
- Charges for the late return of a laptop cannot be waived unless there are extenuating circumstances. Proof of this will need to be provided before the charge is waived.
- You cannot install software on the loan laptop
- Once a laptop is overdue by two weeks it will be marked as lost. This will add the full replacement cost of the laptop (currently £738.00) to your account. This charge will stay on your library account until the laptop has been returned.
- You will be responsible for the replacement of any lost or damaged charger at a cost of £48 each.
- If you have any issues with returning a laptop, please contact UniHelp or the IT team.
- When borrowing a laptop, please check it for any physical damage and turn on to make sure the laptop and screen is in working condition. If damaged, report the laptop issue immediately to UniHelp or to MDX IT team.
- A laptop is issued on the understanding that it becomes the sole responsibility of the student until it is returned. You are liable for any costs due to the loss of, or damage to the laptop whilst in your possession.
- When using a loan laptop, you are strongly advised to save any work onto your own USB memory stick or via OneDrive. Any work lost due to the laptop being faulty cannot be recovered. The University is not responsible for any data lost due to any fault on the laptop.
- Battery life is expected to last around 3 hours, depending on usage.
- The laptops must NOT have labels/markings affixed to the palm rest.
You are still responsible for the good use and maintenance of laptops couriered to you. You will be liable for any damage(s) or loss of this, whilst in your possession.