Update: Laptop Loan requests, returns and extending
If you don't have your own PC, laptop or suitable device to access the University online environment, the University will provide you with a Windows loan laptop to help you with your teaching and learning needs.
Although lockdown restrictions have eased in England, we will continue to send out laptops by courier on a Tuesday only. Loan laptops were due back on Friday, 21 May but we do understand that you might need to keep your laptop longer so you can carry on with your studies. All newly issued loan laptops will be due for return on Friday 27 August 2021
To extend your loan please contact UniHelp and tell us the reason for your extension request.
To borrow a laptop, simply book a courier request on our Laptops for Loan Booking Page
All laptops have full desktop software installed, printing functionality, on screen sign-in instructions and can be used on or off campus. Please note: If you are using a loan laptop On Campus you must connect to MDXUNI Wi-Fi before signing in with your University User ID and password. If you are Off Campus, a connection must be made to a secure Wi-Fi network prior to signing in. To help you, the laptop features on screen sign-in instructions.
Laptops can be returned to the Security Office in the College Building seven days a week between 8am and 6pm.
Please remember that you will not be able to borrow a laptop from the self-service cabinets as they are not in service.
Terms of service
- You will need to connect to a Wi-Fi network before you can access the laptop. You must also have a valid Middlesex user ID and password to log in to the laptop.
- Laptop Returns: Laptops can be returned to the Security Office, College Building, Quad, between 8am and 6pm Monday to Sunday.
Laptop Extensions: The current due date of 21 May has now passed but if you would like to extend your loan please contact UniHelp and tell us the reason for your extension request
- If you are registered with the University’s Disability & Dyslexia Service, you can borrow laptops for a longer period.
- The laptops must NOT have anything affixed to the top cover or marking the top cover, including stickers or any other personal notes etc.
- You will be charged at a rate of 50p per hour for any late return.
- Laptop cabinets are not in use. Please do not return laptops to cabinets.
- All returned laptops will be quarantined and cleaned before next use.
- Charges for the late return of a laptop cannot be waived unless there are extenuating circumstances. Proof of this will need to be provided before the charge is waived.
- You cannot install software on the loan laptop
- Once a laptop is overdue by two weeks it will be marked as lost. This will add the full replacement cost of the laptop (currently £738.00) to your account. This charge will stay on your library account until the laptop has been returned.
- You will be responsible for the replacement of any lost or damaged charger at a cost of £48 each.
- If you have any issues with returning a laptop, please contact UniHelp or the IT team.
- When borrowing a laptop, please check it for any physical damage and turn on to make sure the laptop and screen is in working condition. If damaged, report the laptop issue immediately to UniHelp or to MDX IT team.
- A laptop is issued on the understanding that it becomes the sole responsibility of the student until it is returned. You are liable for any costs due to the loss of, or damage to the laptop whilst in your possession.
- When using a loan laptop, you are strongly advised to save any work onto your own USB memory stick or via OneDrive. Any work lost due to the laptop being faulty cannot be recovered. The University is not responsible for any data lost due to any fault on the laptop.
- Battery life is expected to last around 3 hours, depending on usage.
- The laptops must NOT have labels/markings affixed to the palm rest.
You are still responsible for the good use and maintenance of laptops couriered to you. You will be liable for any damage(s) or loss of this, whilst in your possession.