Laptops for loan
Borrowing a laptop
If you don't have your own PC, laptop or suitable device, the University will provide you with a Windows loan laptop to help you with your teaching and learning needs.
All laptops have full desktop software installed, printing functionality, on-screen sign-in instructions, and can be used on or off-campus. Loan Laptops are pre-installed with software programmes accessed via AppsAnywhere. You will not be able to install any additional software onto a loan laptop.
Loan laptop requests
Due to high demand, we have limited loan laptop availability. We will therefore be prioritising loan laptops to first year students only. Sheppard Library is open 24/7 during term time where you can study using Windows or Mac desktop computers.
Full details on how to borrow a laptop including collection dates and times can be found on our Laptops for Loan Booking Page. You must be fully enrolled before a laptop can be given to you. Important: Please refer to our Terms of Service
Please remember that you will not be able to borrow a laptop from the self-service cabinets as they are not in service.
Loan laptop returns
All newly issued loan laptops will be due for return by Friday 26 May 2023. Laptops can be returned to the IT Specialist desk in StudyHelp, 1st floor in the Sheppard Library, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm only.
How to sign-in to a loan laptop
If you are using a loan laptop On Campus you must connect to MDXSDA Wi-Fi before signing in with your University User ID and password. If you are Off-Campus, a connection must be made to a secure Wi-Fi network followed by clicking on Network Sign-in before signing in with your Middlesex University user ID (e.g. AB123) and password.
To help you, the laptop features on-screen sign-in instructions or you can also read our detailed loan laptop sign-in instructions guide.
Important: We recommend you shut down and restart your computer around twice per week. This ensures your laptop receives the necessary software and Windows updates which are essential to laptop functionality.
Terms of service
- Laptop Loans: A laptop is issued on the understanding that it becomes the sole responsibility of the student until it is returned. You are responsible for the good use and maintenance of the laptop whilst in your possession and will be liable for any costs due to the loss of, or damage to the laptop.
- Wi-Fi network: You will need to connect to a Wi-Fi network before you can access the laptop. You must also have a valid Middlesex University User ID and password to log in to the laptop.
- When borrowing a laptop please check for any physical damage and when turning on, check for any screen damage and ensure the laptop is in good working order.
- Report a damaged laptop immediately to UniHelp Online https://unihub.mdx.ac.uk/support/Unihelp
- Using a loan laptop: you are strongly advised to save any work onto OneDrive or your own USB memory stick. Any work lost due to the laptop being faulty cannot be recovered. The University is not responsible for any data lost due to any fault on the laptop.
- Software installation: you are not permitted to install any additional software onto the loan laptop.
- Windows updates: When prompted, you must install Windows updates to ensure the laptop is kept up to date and secure whilst in your possession.
- Battery life is expected to last around 3 hours, depending on usage
- Please do not: Affix anything to the top cover or marking the top cover, including stickers or any other personal notes, etc.
- Fines and charges: You will be charged at a rate of 50p per hour for any late return. Charges for the late return of a laptop cannot be waived unless there are extenuating circumstances. Proof of this will need to be provided before the charge is waived.
- Payments: to make your payment please visit: https://www.onlinestore.mdx.ac.uk/product-catalogue/library-student-support Once payment has been made, please allow 24 hours for payments to be applied to your library account. Payments made at weekends will be processed on the next working day.
- If a laptop is overdue by two weeks it will be marked as lost. This will add the full replacement cost of the laptop (currently £698.00) to your account. This charge will stay on your library account until the laptop has been returned.
- Laptop Chargers: You will be responsible for the replacement of any lost or damaged charger at a cost of £33.60 each.
- Laptop Returns: Laptops can be returned to the IT Specialist desk in StudyHelp, 1st floor in the Sheppard Library, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm only.