Saved pages

    Close window

    myUniHub MDXSU

    Incoming exchange students

    At Middlesex University we welcome students from overseas institutions to study with us on exchange for a full academic year or single term exchange. With a wide range of courses to choose from, Middlesex University offers great educational and cultural experiences in a diverse environment.

    • Frequently Asked Questions

      • Can I study on exchange at Middlesex University?

        If your home university has an exchange agreement with Middlesex University, then you may be able to study with us for an academic year or single term. In the first instance, it is advisable that you contact the exchange coordinator at your home university to determine whether there is an agreement between your home institution and Middlesex University. For students attending European universities, you may be able to study with us on exchange for an academic year or single term exchange under the new Erasmus+ Programme.
        You can also check our 'List of Partner Universities' (to PUG) to see whether there is a current agreement in place between us and your Home University.
        If we do not have an agreement in place with your home university, unfortunately you will not be accepted to study at Middlesex University as an exchange student. Please also note that we do not establish agreements on individual student requests.

      • How can I apply?

        Once you have determined whether Middlesex University has an agreement with your home institution, you must be nominated to Middlesex University by the Exchange Coordinator at your Home University. All nominations are made online - once nominations have been received, students will be sent a copy of our application form along with 'Instructions for Exchange Applicants'. Before you apply to us, you should consider the courses that you wish to follow and agree your choices with your coordinator. Information about all of the courses on offer at Middlesex University are available on the Middlesex University website.

        Be prepared to submit the following documents together with your application form:

        - copy of your current transcript/credit statement
        - photocopy of your passport (please ensure this is valid)
        - proof of language proficiency
        - portfolio (only for creative subjects)

        Once you have been accepted, you will receive a conditional or unconditional, e.g. when we still require further documentation, Offer Letter via e-mail, which will also outline your next steps.

      • When are the deadlines?

        - Nomination Deadline for Term 1/Full Year Exchange of Academic Year 2015-16: 15th of April 2015

        - Application Deadline for Term 1/Full Year Exchange of Academic Year 2015-16: 15th of May 2015

        - Nomination Deadline for Term 2 Exchange of Academic Year 2015-16: 15th of September 2015

        - Application Deadline for Term 2 Exchange of Academic Year 2015-16: 15th of October 2015

        You must hand in your Application before these deadlines, as Applications received after these deadlines may not be accepted.

      • Will I need to provide English Language qualifications?

        All exchange students whose native language is not English will be required to provide English language certificates with their applications. Information about the accepted language qualifications can be found on 'Entry Requirements' for International Students. Please note that we no longer accept TOEFL certificates as proof of English proficiency.

      • Will I need a Visa to study at Middlesex University?

        If you are a student from outside the EU or European Economic Area (EEA) and stay for the full year, you will need to obtain a Tier 4 Visa before you begin your studies. More information regarding obtaining a Tier 4 Visa can be found under 'Visa and work rights' on the Middlesex University website.

        In addition, you will find information about 'Visa applications' and the conditions of a Tier 4 Visa.

        We will support you through this process, and you can also use the Home Office website to look into the information you may need.

        If you plan on coming to the UK on a single term exchange, from outside the EU or European Economic Area (EEA), you will only be required to obtain a Student Visitor Visa.

      • Will I receive credits for my time on exchange at Middlesex University?

        If you are studying with us for the full academic year or single-term exchange on modules carrying Middlesex University credits, then once your grades have been published on UniHub, a Transcript of Records indicating your grades for each module will be sent to your Home University where you can collect it on your return.

      • How many credits can I study during my exchange?

        At undergraduate level, you can study 120 Middlesex credits (60 ECTS) over a full academic year. If you are here on a single term exchange, you are required to study 60 Middlesex credits (30ECTS). 2 MDX credits = 1 ECTS.

        Postgraduate students are able to study 60 Middlesex credits (30 ECTS) at postgraduate level (and a further 60 Middlesex credits (30 ECTS) at undergraduate level when on a full year exchange).
        To convert MDX credits to US credits: 5 MDX credits = 1 US credit; 120 MDX credits = 24 US credits.

      • What happens next?

        You will receive information containing your Middlesex ID number and your internet 'user ID', which will allow you to log in to UniHub and access your relevant course information.
        Middlesex University will contact you with information to guide you through the initial weeks of your time at Middlesex University. Although you will be studying with us on exchange, you benefit from all of the facilities and services that Middlesex University offers to home students: 'Middlesex University Student Union' (Erasmus Society), the Sheppard Library, 'Student Welfare Advice Team' and other 'support services'.

      • Pre-arrival information

        Once you have received your Offer Letter and your modules have been confirmed, you shortly receive a pre-arrival mail with information on:
        - Enrolment
        - ID check
        - Programme Induction
        - Campus Tours
        - Registration for Induction Week

      • Where will I live whilst on exchange?

        Although there is accommodation at Middlesex University, you will not automatically be offered a place in our halls of residence. Once you have been given a Middlesex University student ID, you will be able to apply for student housing.

        For more information, please visit our Accommodation page. You can also contact if you have any further questions about applying for accommodation.

        If you have chosen to live in private rented accommodation outside the University, you must make sure that this accommodation is available from the day of your arrival in the UK. It is important that you do not arrive at Middlesex without having arranged for somewhere to stay, at least for your first few nights, as the University is not able to provide temporary accommodation.

      • Useful links

    In this section

    Back to top