Logo close icon
myUniHub MDXSU

EU settlement scheme

The following information is applicable if you are a citizen of the EU, EEA, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Lichtenstein.

What is the EU Settlement Scheme

The EU Settlement Scheme offers you an opportunity to protect your residence in the UK and to be able to continue to study and work in the UK, as well as travel into and out of the UK. This means that there will be no restrictions on study.

You must have arrived in the UK before 31 December 2020 to be eligible to apply under this scheme.

If you arrive after this date, you will not be eligible and you will be required to apply for correct Immigration Permission under the relevant Visa Category at that time.

The EU Settlement Scheme allows you to apply for either Pre-Settled or Settled Status.


To be eligible for the EU Settlement Scheme, you must be a resident (living) of the UK by 31 December 2020.

There are no financial requirements for the EU Settlement Scheme.

EU students currently studying online in their home country and planning to come to the UK in January 2021 or after will require a Student Route visa unless they come to the UK before 31 December 2020 and apply for pre-settled status.


The deadline to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme is 30 June 2021.

You must apply by this date in order to retain your legal status in the UK.

If you don't apply in time, you may lose the right to work and study in the UK.

Join our free webinar

To find out more about the EU Settlement Scheme, how to apply and its benefits, join one of our webinar sessions during the following times and dates:

  • Wednesday 21 April, 2.00pm to 3.00pm
  • Wednesday 19 May, 2.00pm to 3.00pm
  • Wednesday 16 June, 2.00pm to 3.00pm

Join the webinar

  • EU Settlement Scheme FAQs

    • What is a Pre-Settled Status under the EU Settlement scheme?

      If you don't have a continuous residence of 5 years’ in the UK, you will receive Pre-Settled Status. This will last up to 5 years, during which time you can apply for settled status as soon as you are eligible to do so.

    • What is a Settled Status under the EU Settlement scheme?

      If you have been continually living in the UK for 5 years by 31 December 2020, you will be eligible to apply to stay in the UK indefinitely (known as Settled Status).

    • How will I receive an outcome of the application, a letter in the post or an email confirmation?

      You will receive confirmation of your status via email. Applicants will be granted a digital status which will be stored electronically by the Home Office. Once you receive your status, details will be provided on how to access it on GOV.UK. This will enable you to prove your rights to others online, including employers and landlords.

    • My passport expires in less than 6 months, can I still apply for the EU Settlement Scheme?

      Your passport only needs to be valid at the time of application. ‘Valid’ here means that the document is genuine and has not expired or been cancelled or invalidated.

    • I already have a UK permanent residence document, do I need to apply for Settled status?

      Yes, you will still need to apply for Settled Status.

    • My spouse is British citizen and I have been studying in the UK for over 5 years. Do I have any kind of advantage in the application process?

      Unfortunately no, you will still need to apply for Pre-Settled or Settled Status.

    • What is the final deadline to make an application under EU Settlement scheme?

      As long as you are living in the UK before 31 December 2020.

      The deadline to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme is 30 June 2021.

    • How long will it take to get a decision?

      Usually processing times are five working days, though it can take longer if your case is more complex.

      Find out more about processing times on the gov.uk website.


Please note that Immigration policy changes frequently. We have made every effort to ensure that this information is correct at the time of writing but it remains subject to change.

You should always refer to www.gov.uk to ensure that you have the most up-to-date information.

In this section

Back to top