Logo close icon
myUniHub MDXSU

Supporting you

As a new student, we want you to feel supported. We have many support services and teams available to help make your first few months at university as easy as possible.

  • Academic support

Get the help you need, when you need it

Student Learning Assistants (SLAs)

SLAs are current students who support other students in their learning and provide support with your coursework, assignments and group work. SLAs are usually attached to specific modules and programmes that they have done before, offering you valuable study tips about how to achieve good grades.

Find out more about SLAs

Ask a Librarian

The librarians in Sheppard Library provide subject specialist support to help your learning. They can help you find books, articles and other academic resources as well as organise individual sessions focused on your assignments as part of your programme.

View all their services

Academic Advisors

You will have a dedicated Academic Advisor throughout your first year who will provide advice and guidance on your studies, getting settled in and will act as your first point of call for your department. They will meet with you at key points in the year and let you know  about opportunities and events that will allow you to make the most of your studies.


The UniHelp Desk brings together all our face-to-face support for all general student enquiries in one location on campus the ground floor of the Sheppard Library. In addition to answering general enquiries, there are teams of specialists available to answer your specific queries during core working hours.

Depending on the time of year, there may also be dedicated appointments or drop-in sessions for immediate specialist advice.

Ask a question

Learning Enhancement Team (LET)

The LET work closely with your subject lecturers to provide you with discipline-specific support with academic writing and language to help you succeed in your studies. They also specialise in teaching the maths and numeracy you need to succeed at University and beyond. The LET are able to help when you feel you are doing well and want to do better, and/or when you feel you are struggling.

See how they can help you

MDXSU Advice

The MDXSU Advice service offers independent, confidential advice on a range of academic issues. They have drop-in sessions or you can speak to someone over the phone.

  • Safety on campus

Our campuses and accommodation are looked after by teams of security guards, protected by CCTV cameras with swipe card access in many locations.

If you need help, please contact our 24 hour control room by calling 0208 411 6200. For non-emergency situations including safety or general advice about the campus, you can visit the Security team, based in the Quad or call 0208 411 4329.

You can also contact our security team if you have a personal concern or query:

Read more about safety and security

  • Your health

Your wellbeing

Your wellbeing is your mental, physical and emotional health and we want to ensure that you are having the best time at University; be that with your studies or your personal life.

We have tips, advice and guidance on making sure you're managing your new life as a student, getting enough sleep, eating healthy and feeling fit and strong.

We also have information on mental health support and counselling as well as sexual health and contraception.

Learn more about your health

Getting medical advice

We recommend that you register with a GP as soon as you get to university. Please don't wait until you are unwell to do this.

As a Middlesex student, you can register with our partner GP The Uni Doctor.

Any Middlesex student can register online in just a few minutes. The NHS has more information on getting medical care as a student and you can find out more on our Health and Wellbeing pages too.

Start your search

Meningitis vaccination

If you're going to university for the first time, we strongly advise you have the Men ACWY vaccine to prevent meningitis W disease. The Men ACWY vaccine is a single injection into the upper arm and protects against four different causes of meningitis and septicaemia.

Please contact your local GP to have the vaccine, ideally before the start of your course or within the first few weeks.

International students

As an international student, you will only be able to register with an NHS GP if you're enrolled on a full-time course that lasts for more than six months. If this does not apply, you will have to ensure you have the correct medical insurance.

We recommend that your let your current GP know that you are moving to the UK and ask if you need any vaccinations.

If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, please ask your current GP to write a letter explaining these along with any medication you're receiving. You can pass this information to your new GP in the UK to ensure you continue receiving your treatment or medication.

Getting help from pharmacies

You do not need to register or book an appointment to receive treatment from a pharmacy. Pharmacists are highly trained professionals who will be able to give you advice and recommend treatments on minor ailments such as colds, coughs and sprains.

Read more about their services

Going to a walk-in centre

Walk in centres can provide you with urgent medical attention for injuries that are not life threatening. You don't need to register or make an appointment but you may have to wait to be seen.

Find a walk-in centre

Emergencies and 111

In an emergency situation, call 999. If you are still on campus, please also call campus security on 020 8411 6200.

If you have a medical problem but aren't sure which service to use, call 111 or visit the 111 website. They will ask about your symptoms and give advice on how to access support or put you directly in touch with the appropriate practitioner.

In this section

Back to top