Logo close icon
myUniHub MDXSU

Register with a GP

We recommend registering with a General Practitioner (GP) or doctor as soon as you arrive at Middlesex or the UK. GPs are often the first point of contact and can refer you to more specialist care should you need it. If you are moving from another GP in England, your new GP should have access to your previous health records.

The NHS has more information on getting medical care as a student. If you are an international student, visit the international students and healthcare page. You can register with some GPs such as The Uni Doctor before you arrive in the UK (if applicable), however you can decide to register with whichever GP you choose.

  • The Uni Doctor

The Uni Doctor is located in Wembley but also provides clinics at the campus on Tuesdays and Fridays. They provide:

  • Quick registration in just a few minutes online to any MDX student living in London
  • Option of telephone or in-person appointments
  • Video consultations from your mobile phone
  • SMS/Email communication
  • Multilingual including English, Hindi, Gujarati, Arabic, Portuguese
  • Access to booking appointments / medical advice via AskNHS
  • Vaccine Clinic on campus: For more information, please visit our Infectious Diseases UniHub page.

How do I register with The Uni Doctor?

The Uni Doctor & proactive healthcare

You don’t have to register with The Uni Doctor, though.  You might like to register with a GP that’s closer to where you live in London.

  • I want to learn about additional health services

    • Use a pharmacist if

      You need advice and over-the-counter treatments for minor ailments like aches and pains, coughs and colds, infections and viruses, allergies, minor injuries, skin conditions and more, saving a visit to the doctor’s surgery.

      There’s no need for an appointment.

      Opening hours tend to be Monday to Friday but this may vary.

    • Use your GP

      Your GP should be your first point of contact for health issues that you can’t treat yourself with the help of your local pharmacy or information on NHS.uk.

      Opening hours tend to be Monday to Friday but this may vary.

    • Call 111 if

      You need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency.

      You think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service. You don't know who to call or you don't have a GP to call. You need health information or reassurance about what to do next.

      Opening hours: 24/7, 365

    • Use a hospital A&E

      An A&E department (also known as emergency department or casualty) deals with genuine life-threatening emergencies. A&E is not an alternative to a GP appointment.

      Opening hours: 24/7, 365

    • NHS walk-in centres

      Urgent care centres can provide you with urgent medical attention for injuries that are not life threatening. You can simply turn up at an urgent care centre without an appointment, although you may have to wait.

    • Finding a dentist

      Once you have registered with a GP, you can be treated by a dentist.

      Dental treatment is not usually offered for free in the UK, although NHS practices charge much less than private practices. You may be able to claim some of the money for the treatment, depending on your financial circumstances.

      If you do require financial support, you can speak to the Student Welfare Advice Team who will discuss your options with you.

      Like registering with a GP, it's important that you register with a dentist close to your term-time address. You can find your nearest dentist here [https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-dentist].

      Dental treatment is not usually free in England. Check to see if you are entitled to discounted or free dental care here

    • Call 999

      For immediate, life-threatening emergencies and where you cannot go to A&E yourself.

      Opening hours: 24/7, 365

    • Pharmacies

      Pharmacists are highly trained healthcare professionals and are able to give you advice and recommend treatments on minor ailments such as colds, coughs and sprains. You do not need to register or book an appointment to receive treatment at a pharmacy and they are often open later in the day than GP practices.

      If your Pharmacist is not able to support you, they will signpost you to your GP.

      The closest Pharmacy to our campus is:

      C K Pharmacy, 9 Church Road
      Hendon, London
      NW4 4EB

      Tel: 020 8203 1007

      Hours: 9.00am to 7.00pm weekdays | 9.00am to 2.00pm Saturdays | Closed on Sundays.

I want to know more about paying for NHS services

If you are a home student and over the age of 18, you will usually need to pay towards the cost of prescriptions, dental care, eye care and wigs and fabric supports.

If you are on a low income, take this short quiz to see if you could be entitled to support with paying for NHS costs through the NHS Low Income Scheme. If you think that you are entitled to support, you will need to fill in a HC1 form and post this to the NHS. You will then be advised about whether you can apply for full (a HC2 form) or partial (HC3) support. You can find out more on the NHS Low Income Scheme web page. If English is not your first language, the NHS offer an interpreter service to support you to fill in the forms.

If you need regular prescriptions, it may be more cost effective for you to obtain a Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC) which you can do online.

If you are eligible for certain benefits you may also be eligible for free NHS treatment (including dental treatment). Find out more on the Free NHS dental treatment webpage.

I am an international student and I'm not sure what healthcare I'm entitled to

As an international student, you will only be able to register with an NHS practice if you are enrolled on a full-time course that lasts for more than six months. If your country does not offer reciprocated treatment with the UK, you should take out insurance.

If you're able to, it's important that you register with a GP as soon as you can after arriving in the UK. Your new GP will process your registration and can provide you with an NHS number which you will need to have hospital treatment or if you need to be referred to a specialist.

We recommend that your inform your home doctor that you are moving to the UK and to ask if you need any vaccinations. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, please ask your home doctor to write a letter explaining these along with any medication you are receiving (this could include a copy of your prescription with English translation if required).

You can pass this information to your new GP in the UK as this will help to ensure continuity in your treatment. To find out about accessing healthcare as an international student, find out what you need to do before arriving in the UK.

I am a UK student but need to travel to Europe – what healthcare am I entitled to?

You should take out medical insurance to cover the duration of your visit/stay. If you have an EHIC, it will be valid until the expiry date on the card. Once it expires, you’ll need to apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) to replace it. This lets you get state healthcare in Europe at a reduced cost or sometimes for free.

GHIC and EHIC do not replace travel insurance. You can use a GHIC or an EHIC if you’re travelling to an EU country.

You cannot use a GHIC or an existing EHIC in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland. You’ll need travel insurance with healthcare cover.

If you're not sure what health service you need, download the Ask NHS app (available on Android and Apple) to check your symptoms and get guidance on the best service for you.

In this section

Back to top