COVID-19 – Latest MDX updates and FAQs
Saved pages

    Close window

    myUniHub MDXSU

    International orientation

    Get involved

    International orientation will support you from the moment you arrive and ensure you have a great start to your life as a student at MDX. It's free for all international and UK students, all you need to do is register for the activities.

    What to expect

    Starting on Monday 11 January and running for two days, our team will help you settle in, and make friends through a programme of online events.

    They'll guide you through the important information you need to get going, including finding out about the different support services available to you, getting you familiar with the University, and helping you make friends!

    What's on

    Check out what we have in store for you and book your tickets below

    Monday 11 January

    Events TBC

    Tuesday 12 January

    Events TBC

    Book your tickets now

    International societies and clubs

    Our students have created a wide number of societies, clubs and liberation groups ranging from cultural to religious, recreational to academic. Search for one, make friends and start to feel at home at Middlesex.

    Join a society

    Your visa

    Before you come to the UK, you need to ensure that you have the correct visa for studying. Many of our international students need a visa to study in the UK. You start your visa application when you have received an offer from us.

    Remember that we have a team of advisors on hand to deal with any of your questions.

    Student Route visa

    This visa allows you to study on a course that is longer than six months. Most international students need this visa to study in the UK.

    Get visa support and advice

    Entering the UK: eGates

    From 20 May 2019, nationals from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States of America will be able to use the eGates for fast automated arrival at 16 UK airports and Eurostar rail terminals.

    International students with Student Route visa

    You will be able to use eGates if you are an international student from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States of America and are studying for longer than six months and have a Student Route visa (vignette) in your passport or student biometric residence permit.

    However you must prove that you entered the UK within the validity of your visa (vignette).

    Here is an example of a vignette you will receive following a successful Student Route visa application. You will find the issue and expiry date of the vignette in the top right corner as shown in the example below:

    Important to note

    You must ensure that you travel to the UK within the validity of Student Route vignette. If you enter the UK through eGates before the start date the Student Route visa (vignette), you will have a visitor leave and not Student Route visa.

    In accordance with the Home Office regulations, you will have to leave the UK and re-enter on or after the start date of your Student Route visa (vignette) in order to continue your studies.

    As part of your induction activities at Middlesex you will be invited to an ID check which is an important part of the process to get your student ID card. You will be asked to present your passport, Student Route visa (vignette) and evidence of when you entered the UK.

    You will also need to retain evidence that you travelled to or entered the UK within the last six months if you intend to rent an entire property from a letting agent or private landlord or intend to rent a room (as a lodger) from a private landlord or a host family for more than three months.

    Acceptable evidence of entry to the UK may include a boarding card, ticket or booking confirmation for travel to the UK.

    Short term students

    If you are coming to the UK as a Short Term Student (less than 6 months) (as part of the Study Abroad programme; short courses, pre-sessional English; taking viva; resits, part of your research), then you MUST seek entry via Immigration Officer and request the entry stamp as in the example below:

    The stamp gives you the permission needed for your studies and confirms the date you entered the UK. You should not be using the e-Gates entrance to the UK.

    Important to note

    Without the passport stamp you will be unable to study and will be required to leave the UK and re-enter to obtain the entry clearance stamp.

    Getting set up in the UK

    Coming to the UK to study is an exciting time but arriving during COVID-19 might mean you have to self-isolate/quarantine and this can be worrying.

    To help you settle in and ensure you have everything you need, we’ve developed a detailed checklist for you to ensure your arrival and first days and weeks with MDX are as great as they can be.

    We encourage you to both check the latest travel advice and read through the advice on getting from your arrival destination to your accommodation before you travel to the UK.

    Read our checklist

    In this section

    Back to top