Logo close icon
search button

    Close window

    myUniHub MDXSU

    International students

    From 15 July, UniHub, myUniHub will begin to be decommissioned and content will be available on MyMDX (formerly MDXapp). These changes are designed to create a better digital experience for you as a student.

    Learn more

    Here you will find next steps after you arrive in the UK, how to renew your Student route (formerly tier 4) visa and understand the rules around working and studying in the UK.

    • Welcome to our International students

    Our International Student Advice team is here to help you with any issues related to your immigration status during your time at MDX. We can also support you and offer guidance if your circumstances change or any difficulties arise relating to your Student route (formerly tier 4) visa.

    Our advisers provide a non-judgemental and strictly confidential service. This means that we will not discuss any of the details of your visit, unless you give us permission to do so.

    We offer both online and printed information as well as one-to-one support through appointments.

    We run appointments on campus and by telephone for current students to check your student route visa application to either extend or new your visa.

    We also provide information about your responsibilities as a Student route (formerly tier 4) visa holder at Middlesex.

    Contact us

    Tel: 020 8411 4507 
    Email: intadvice@mdx.ac.uk
    Book an appointment

    • Need to know before you arrive

    Coming to the UK and beginning your studies at MDX is an exciting time and we want to make sure that you arrive fully prepared. This means not only are you ready for your course but you have considered your health and wellbeing too.

    UK health services

    Getting access to healthcare services in the UK can be dependant on the length of your course and the country you're arriving from. It's important that you understand what your eligible for so that as soon as you touch down in the UK, you know what's available if you ever need help.

    Before you arrive, you'll need to ensure that your vaccinations are up to date, that you've spoken to your doctor if you have an ongoing health condition or take regular medications, and be aware of how and when to contact UK healthcare services.

    On arrival in the UK >

    Welcome to the UK! We recommend reading this page for more information on finding a GP, registering with the police, and opening a bank account. You can also find important information about your Biometric Residential Permit and passport, and what to do if you lose either.

    • Settling in to MDX


    After the excitement of the first few days or weeks has worn off, you may find yourself feeling homesick.

    Being away from home for the first time can be difficult and as an international student you will have additional worries such as getting used to different customs and communicating in a foreign language. You may start to feel anxious, frustrated, disappointed and lonely.

    If you have any problems or feel lonely, there are various people you can talk to:

    More information can be found on our Counselling page.

    Useful links

    The following organisations specialise in International student affairs:

    Your Student route (formerly tier 4) visa

    The Student route visa is required for studying in the UK. Check this page if you need to update your details, withdraw from your course or if you want to work during your studies.

    Learn more about your visa

    After your studies >

    Our support for our International students continues even after you graduate. Find out how we can help you after your studies.

    • Graduate Route Visa

    The Graduate route is a visa for international students in the UK who want to work or look for work following the successful completion of their degree at Undergraduate level or above. Please visit the Graduate Visa webpage on the UK Government website for further information and eligibility.

    The International Student Advice Team will be holding graduate route presentations twice monthly from September.  Please check on Unihub for dates and times.

    Graduate Route Visa Presentations

    The International Student Advice Team are holding several graduate route presentations to help international students who may be thinking of applying after they successfully complete their current programme of study. This is a new two-year working visa that students are granted by the UKVI to work in the UK after their studies.

    Click the following link to view our presentation: Graduate Route Presentation

    Book into a Graduate Route Workshop

    • Frequently Asked Questions

      • Can I book an appointment regarding the Graduate Route Visa?

        We can provide general advice and guidance but as with other non-Student routes, we do not offer one to one appointment to help you with submitting your application.  We also deliver Graduate route workshops throughout the year and are promoted on Unihub.

        Please go to https://www.gov.uk/graduate-visa for further guidance.

      • How early can I apply?

        Once you meet the eligibility requirements, i.e. have successfully completed your course and been awarded, the university will notify the UKVI and also email you to apply. Please note that you’re responsible for checking that you meet all the eligibility criteria before submitting your Graduate route application. Application fees are not always refundable if an application is submitted when you don’t meet the eligibility criteria

      • When will I know that my successful course completion has been reported to UKVI?

        The Student Visa Compliance Team can only report to UKVI under (the Graduate route reporting) confirming that you have been awarded your degree once your grades have been ratified by the Exam Boards and duly recorded on our systems (MISIS). Therefore, the Student visa compliance team will be conducting regular reviews to ensure prompt processing and reporting of your award to facilitate the procedure as efficiently as feasible. The Student Visa Compliance Team will email you to confirm that they have notified the UKVI and also provide you with the CAS number Assigned to you in support of your previous student route visa application.

      • How much does the Graduate route cost?

        £822 application fee plus the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) of £1035 per year.

      • Are there any work restrictions on the Graduate route visa?

        The only restriction is a prohibition on working as a professional sportsperson or coach.

      • Can I remain in the UK whilst my application is being decided and my student route visa has expired?

        If you submit a valid application before your tudent visa has expired, you will beprotected by 3C leave. Section 3C of the Immigration Act 1971 protects applicants frombecoming overstayers if the Home Office has not decided their application by the time theircurrent immigration permission expires. It extends that permission and the conditions attached toit, beyond the date of expiry until a decision has been made on the applicant's visa application.

      • Can I work whilst my application is being decided?

        If you’ve made a valid application before your current visa has expired, you will be able to work but subject to the Student visa work restrictions. If you currently a student route visa to study a part-time course, you cannot work until you receive a successful decision on your Graduate visa application.

      • When will my Graduate visa begin if I’m successful?

        Your Graduate Route visa will be valid from the date it is granted by the UKVI.  Service standard times are approximately up to 8 weeks depending on the time of year.

      • What happens if I don’t successfully complete my programme before my Student route visa expires?

        You should seek advice if you will not successfully complete your programme by the expected course end date listed on your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies). If you need to submit outstanding work, a deferred dissertation, or sit exams after your official course end date, your visa may expire before your results are published and you will not be eligible to apply for the graduate route visa.

        It’s also important to understand that the Student sponsor rules do not allow Middlesex University to sponsor you for a Student visa extension unless your active engagement on your course is needed. If you’re not required to enrol and take part in classes such as repeating modules but only submit outstanding coursework, a deferred dissertation or sit exams, this would not meet the rules for visa sponsorship and so you could not extend your Student visa.

      • I took a leave of absence and there was a break in my Student immigration permission, will I be eligible for Graduate Route?

        UKVI Guidance states that the caseworker should count all periods of Student  permission which were granted to study the eligible qualification that you later successfully completed.

      • How do absences like short, authorised absences or fieldwork outside the UK affect my eligibility for Graduate Route?

        One of the requirements of the Graduate Route is that you have studied in the UK for at least 12 months whilst holding a valid Student visa.

      • Will I be eligible for Graduate route if I transfer to a different programme from the programme that my CAS(Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) was issued for?

        Normally you must have completed your programme during your current period of Student permission, and it must be the same programme for which your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) was assigned. There are some exceptions:

        • If you were allowed by Middlesex University to switch to a different programme without applying for new Student permission.
        • Your last period of Student permission was granted to work as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer, and you are applying based on a qualification that was gained during a previous recent period of Student or Tier 4 permission.
      • Can I extend my Graduate visa?

        No, the Graduate visa is granted only once and cannot be extended.

      • Will I be able to study on the Graduate visa?

        You can only study with a Graduate visa if your chosen course is not eligible for a Student visa or the place of study is not a Student visa sponsor.

      • Can I apply for the Graduate route a second time?

        No, you can only apply for the Graduate route once.

      • Will I be able to switch into another visa type like the Skilled Worker?

        You can switch from Graduate Route to Skilled Worker route in the UK if you find a job where the company can sponsor you. You may be able to switch to Skilled Worker visa when your Graduate visa is ending but you can only be a ‘new entrant’ for a maximum of 4 years' worth of permission under Graduate Route, Tier 2 and Skilled Worker.

        This is explained further on the UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) website. Your Skilled Worker visa sponsor would be your main point of contact for advice.

      • Can I leave the UK whilst I'm waiting for a decision on my Graduate application?

        If you leave the Common Travel Area (UK, Republic of Ireland, Bailiwick of Jersey, Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Isle of Man), your visa application will be considered automatically withdrawn so you should not leave the CTA until you receive your decision and BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) (if eligible to receive a BRP).

      • I’m financially sponsored for my course or programme; do I need any documents from my sponsor?

        If in the past 12 months you’ve been awarded full financial sponsorship for both your tuition fees and maintenance by a government or an international scholarship agency, you will need to supply a letter of consent from your sponsor. The letter should confirm they consent to your Graduate Route application and is a validity requirement for the visa application.

      • Can I leave the UK after my programme is finished and then return to the UK to submit my Graduate Route application?

        Yes, if you return to the UK before your Student visa expires. At the border, you may be asked why you’re returning to the UK. You should explain to a Border Force Officer that you’re returning to apply for the Graduate Route visa.

      • Can I apply for settlement after Graduate Route?

        Graduate Route is not a direct route to settlement after 5 years but may count toward the long residence provision where there has been 10 years of continuous leave held. You should seek advice from an external immigration adviser if you have questions about settlement or ILR as the International Student Advice Team cannot advise on this. You can find specialist immigration advice via the Immigration Law Practitioners website.

      • Can I bring my family members (dependents) to the UK on the Graduate Route?

        Only dependents that are currently in the UK as a Student dependent can apply as your dependent under the Graduate Route.

      • How long is the duration of the graduate route visa?

        The length of the graduate route is 2 years for undergraduate and postgraduate students and 3 years for PHD.

      • What’s the main points for eligibility to apply for the graduate route visa?
        • You must be in the UK on a valid student route visa
        • You must have completed your programme of study and have been awarded before your current student route visa expires
        • Please go to https://www.gov.uk/graduate-visa

    In this section

    Back to top