COVID-19 – Latest MDX updates and FAQs
Saved pages

    Close window

    myUniHub MDXSU

    Student Complaints and Grievance Procedure

    Providing feedback is important for us to be able to improve

    Our Student Complaints and Grievance Procedure allows you to make complaints and ensures your complaint will be treated seriously and investigated as quickly as possible. Please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for more information about how we deal with complaints.

    If you're not sure who to speak to, seek advice from UniHelp desk or talk to your Student Advisor from MDXSU.

    • Making a complaint

    • Stage 1: Early Resolution

      If you have an issue, you should try to seek a resolution at the same level as the complaint occurred. For example, this could mean speaking to your Module Leader, Programme Leader, Head of School or within the relevant service department.

      In this stage, your complaint will be deal with by the appropriate Schools and/or Professional Services departments.

      At the end of this process, you should get a written response to your complaint, copied to the Director of Student Affairs.

    • Stage 2: Formal Complaint

      If you're not happy with the outcome of Stage 1, you can choose to submit a Stage 2 complaint by completing the Complaints Form. This should be done within 21 working days of receiving the written response from Stage 1.

      Please address your Stage 2 complaint to the relevant body:

      • For academic programme or school-related complaints: the Deputy Dean
      • For service related complaints: Head of the relevant service department

      In this stage, your complaint will be dealt with by the appropriate Deans of Schools (or School Senior Manager) or the Head of Professional Service.

    Stage 3: University-level review

    If you believe one of the following three situations has occurred, you may request a review of the outcome of the Stage 2 investigation :

    1. There has been a procedural irregularity in the conduct of the Stage 2 investigation OR
    2. New information has come to light which you were unable to disclose previously and which would have had a material impact upon the investigation previously undertaken OR
    3. The decision reached was unreasonable based on the information that had been available to the University when the case was considered.

    A review must be requested within 21 working days of the written response to Stage 2 and should be submitted to the Director of Student Affairs using the University Level Review Form (ULR).

    If you are studying at a Collaborative Partner Institution, please complete the Collaborative Partner University Level Review form (CPULR). Full details can be found in the Student Complaints and Grievance Procedure (Appendix A).

    In this stage, the investigation will be managed by the Director of Student Affairs on behalf of the Vice-Chancellor. The Director of Student Affairs normally nominates a Senior Manager from an Academic School or Professional Service.

    The Office of the Independent Adjudicator

    When our internal procedures have been concluded you will be issued with a Completion of Procedures (CoP) letter, normally from the Director of Student Affairs.

    If you are still dissatisfied with the final decision on your case, you may be able to apply to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) for Higher Education.

    In this section

    Back to top