Latest updates on COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
Saved pages

    Close window

    myUniHub MDXSU

    Care and Concern

    Report and get support for conduct, health, wellbeing and safety concerns.

    What is Care and Concern?

    Care and Concern is a centralised university system which students and staff can use to refer, report and get support for non-academic concerns - issues relating to the conduct (or potential misconduct), health, wellbeing, risk of harm, or safety of a student.

    Care and Concern is a procedure which manages an holistic response to four policies: Safeguarding (including Prevent); Fitness to Study; Fitness for Practice, and; Student Conduct and Discipline.  The procedure does not manage concerns relating to academic engagement e.g. attendance, achievement and academic misconduct.

    Click here for an overview of Care and Concern.

    What’s hate crime?

    A hate crime is when someone commits a crime against you because of your disability, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, religion, or any other actual or perceived difference.

    It doesn’t just mean physical violence. Someone using offensive language towards you or harassing you because of who you are (or who they think you are), is also a crime. Another example is someone posting abusive or offensive messages about you online.

    You might want to shrug it off if it happens to you. But if you tell us, we can investigate and stop it from getting worse, for you or someone else.

    Even if you’re not sure if it’s a crime or not, you should report it so we can investigate.

    It‘s not OK

    It’s not OK to be targeted because of who you are, or your family and friends are (or who people think they are).

    Hate crime doesn’t have to be targeted at you for you to report it. You can report anything you see happening to someone else or report it on their behalf if they don’t want to.

    We understand that you might not feel comfortable talking to the police about what happened.

    Other ways to report it:

    Download the stop hate crime reporting app, Self Evident or visit to submit a report, which can be anonymous.

    For anti-Muslim incidents:

    For antisemitic Incidents:

    For LGBT incidents:

    For general information on disability hate crime, visit:

    When to contact Care and Concern

    Contact Care and Concern for advice, guidance and support about what to do next if you’ve experienced, witnessed or know of any incident of any form of significant harm, abuse or exploitation, such as:

    • Sexual violence (abuse, assault, rape, harassment)
    • Bullying and harassment (intimidation, aggravation, force)
    • Hate crime or a hate incident (prejudice on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation or any other grounds)

    If you are concerned about another student?  For example, you may know a student who is experiencing, or is at risk of experiencing significant harm, abuse or exploitation; you may have concerns about another student’s mental health and you are worried that they might come to harm; you may have witnessed behaviours.

    How to contact Care and Concern

    You can contact us in various ways:

    Telephone: 0208 411 6200 – this is the number for Security.  Ask for Care and Concern and you will be connected to a Designated Safeguarding Officer (DSOs).

    Alternatively, you can speak to any member of staff who will be able to contact Care and Concern on your behalf.

    Please note that Care and Concern operates during office hours of 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.  However, in the case of a safeguarding emergency, please call Security and an appropriate response will be actioned.

    Who are the Care and Concern team and what do they do?

    The Care and Concern team consists of staff members from professional services, including Counselling and Mental Health, Student Support and Student and Legal Affairs.  The team does not work in isolation, consulting university staff outside of the team where necessary and appropriate as well as with external agencies to ensure the most appropriate and effective support for the student.

    The team meets twice a week to discuss cases and agree on appropriate next steps, immediate and short-term interventions and longer-term action plans.  A case manager is assigned to oversee interventions and monitor any developments with the focus on ensuring there is a structure in place to support a student and that the right procedure is being followed at the right time.

    Designated Safeguarding Officers (DSOs) act as the first responders to concerns when a student or member of staff contacts Care and Concern. They are members of staff from across the University who volunteer their time on a rota basis, in addition to their day job, to be available 9 to 5, Monday to Friday to:

    • provide an immediate response as trained first-responders to safeguarding emergencies, such as if a student is experiencing a mental health crisis;
    • decide on immediate next steps and act as the route to the Care and Concern team by identifying when the threshold has been met for a referral;
    • give general advice and guidance about Care and Concern, such as regarding policy, procedure and internal services.

    In this section

    Back to top