Crisis and emergency help | UniHub
Saved pages

    Close window

    myUniHub MDXSU
    Section navigation

    Crisis and emergency help

    This page offers information about possible places to contact in a crisis, either by phone or in person. Some are available out of hours and some daytime only. Many services can only help you if you are resident in their area, so it is important to check this before making contact. Your first port of call should be your General Practitioner (GP). Your GP has overall responsibility for your physical and mental health care and can provide access to other National Health Services.

    Telephone helplines

    The following services are telephone helplines which offer further support and help:

    • The Samaritans
      Tel: 116 123
      Operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - for anyone experiencing emotional distress

    • SANE Helpline
      Tel: 0300 304 7000
      Operates 7 days a week 6:00pm to 11:00pm –  a national out-of-hours telephone helpline offering emotional support and information for people affected by mental health problems

    • London Nightline
      Operates 6:00pm to 8:00am, every night of term – a student-run helpline providing confidential help and information
      Tel: 020 7631 0101
      Skype Chat:
      Skype phone: londonnightline
      Text: 07717 989 900

    Local Mental Health Services

    If you live in the London Boroughs of Barnet, Enfield or Haringey you can refer yourself to your local Crisis Resolution & Home Treatment Team (CRHT) by contacting them on the numbers below.

    The new CRHT service  provides an urgent outreach service, assessing service users 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, wherever they are at the point of referral e.g. GP surgery, a hospital Accident & Emergency department (A&E), their own home etc.

    If you are already under the care of Barnet Enfield Haringey Mental Health Trust and you need urgent care you should contact your care co-ordinator in the first instance if it is between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.  Outside of these hours you should contact the CRHT team.


    Tel: 0208 702 4040
    1st floor, Dennis Scott Unit, Edgware Community Hospital, Burn Oak Broadway, Middlesex HA8 0A


    Tel: 0208 702 3800
    Address: Ivy House, Chase Farm Hospital, Ridgeway, Enfield EN2 8JL


    Tel: 0208 702 6700
    Lea Unit, St. Ann's Hospital, St. Anne's Road, Tottenham, London N15 3TH

    If you live outside the Barnet, Enfield and Haringey areas you should contact your GP or, in a mental health emergency, go to your local hospital with an Accident & Emergency (A&E) department.

    In this section

    Back to top

    We use Cookies

    View our Privacy and Cookie policy


    myUniHub MDXSU