Logo close icon
myUniHub MDXSU

Other points of information

In addition to offers of accommodation on our interactive website Middlesexstudentpad, estate/letting agents, local and London-wide newspapers and advertisers can also provide leads to private rented accommodation. Rented accommodation which is advertised in newspapers is let very quickly, so it is important to buy the paper as soon as it comes out, to start telephoning straight away and be prepared to visit the accommodation that day.

Local newspapers

The following local newspapers are available weekly:

  • Barnet and Finchley Press, Hendon & Finchley Times and the Islington Gazette;

There are also some free papers which are delivered in restricted areas and which include the Barnet Independent and the Barnet Advertiser.

London-wide newspapers/advertisers

  • The Evening Standard  a free daily paper which is available in central London from 11am and other London areas from about noon each day.
  • Loot - printed thrice weekly and also available online.

Estate/letting agencies

These are establishments that offer a selection of properties to rent or buy. In general they deal with whole flats and houses, but can in addition, be a useful source of rented accommodation in a shared flat or house. Some produce lists of available accommodation which can be obtained directly from them on request.

It is illegal for an agency to charge a fee for you to register with them to provide you with details of available accommodation or to provide addresses of properties. They can only charge a fee once you have secured accommodation. Students are strongly advised to enquire about any relevant charges such as "referencing fees", "administration fees", "contract fees", "credit check fees", "preparation fees", "letting fees" or "inventory fees" before you using the services of a letting agency.

Some Estate/Letting Agents are members of either ARLA (The Association of Residential Letting Agents) or NAEA (The National Association of Estate Agents) however, registration with these organisations is voluntary.

From 6th April 2007, all deposits taken by landlords/letting agents in respect of Assured Shorthold Tenancies must be protected by the tenancy deposit protection scheme. Estate/letting agents must provide you with the details of the Government-approved scheme protecting your deposit.

Always get a receipt for any money you pay. This should clearly state what the amount covers and whether or not it is refundable. Never sign any agreement unless you are completely happy with the property being offered and fully understand the terms of the agreement. Always keep a copy of any agreements you sign as this will avoid any possible later disputes.

The Estate/Letting Agencies List provided is impartial and inclusion does not imply recommendation or endorsement by the University.

Student Welfare Advice Team

This provides information and advice on a wide range of practical matters, including problems between owners and tenants. Advisors are available at each campus.

  • Hendon - 020 8411 6527 / 020 8411 6482 / 020 8411 6589

See: Student Welfare Advice Team

Local Authority Housing Advice Centres

Many local authorities run housing advice centres. They also offer advice on a number of housing matters and often help those in need. Some authorities make special provision for homeless single young people and childless couples. Housing advice centres also give advice on any problems arising after finding accommodation such as tenancy agreements, difficulties in getting repairs carried out and landlord/tenant disputes.

See: Barnet Hub Citizens Advice Bureau - 0300 456 8365

In this section

Back to top